Orri’s Dietetics team share 12 affirmations to keep you grounded as you approach mealtimes in recovery. Allow these reminders to keep you focused on what’s important.
1. How I feel about myself has nothing to do with what I eat or don’t eat
2. I deserve to treat my body with respect
3. My happiness does not depend on my size but on who I am and what I do
4. My body is my home and I am going to look after it
5. Although I cannot see all that is ahead of me, I can take the next step
6. I need to be nourished to live a happy life
7. Fear is only a feeling, it cannot control me
8. Food is not the enemy, my eating disorder is
9. I am not facing this alone
10. One day at a time, one step at a time
11. Fear is what I’m feeling, brave is what I’m being
12. I am not any less for making mistakes but I can learn from them
Orri’s approach to recovery with food
We do dietetics a little differently at Orri. We do not to talk about calories, nor do we lay down rules.
People with eating disorders already have a lot of rules. Rather than replace their rules with another set, our Dietetics team prefer to start working with clients from where they are, taking gradual steps forward at mealtimes.