Our Chef, Ben, has been busy in the kitchen this Christmas. Today he shares his Sage, Onion and Cranberry Biscuit Trees recipe. Give it a go at home and send us your pictures on Instagram!
1 large onion finely diced
6 sage leaves finely diced, or 1/2 tsp dried
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
125g of unsalted butter, softened
125g of plain flour, sifted
15g of caster sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 pinch of salt
4 tbsp cranberry sauce
2 tbsp mixed herbs
1. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium flame until shimmering, add the diced onion and 1 tsp of salt. Fry gently, stirring often until soften, golden and translucent.
2. Add the sage and pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the contents onto a plate to cool fully.
3. Add the butter and sugar to a bowl. Using a whisk, whip the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Season with black pepper.
4. Mix the flour and salt into the butter gradually until a dough forms, you want a largely dry dough that can roll out easily. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to 2cm thick. Use a Christmas tree cutter to cut out the shortbread. Place on a line baking tray and put back in the fridge to firm up for another 10 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
7. Transfer the shortbread to the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack
8. Once cooled, spread a thin layer of cranberry sauce over the biscuits and sprinkle some mixed herbs over the top.