Our Chef, Ben, is back with another recipe! This time, we’re going for sweet over savoury with some gingerbread snowflake cookies. Give them a go and share pictures with us on Instagram!
150 g vegan butter
120 g light brown soft sugar
100 g golden syrup
50 g black treacle (or molasses)
3 ½ tsp ground ginger
3 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground allspice
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
380 g plain (all-purpose) flour
300g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp aquafaba
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
1. Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a medium saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
2. Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and bicarbonate of soda and whisk until smooth. The mixture will foam up a bit.
3. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined and no dry patches of flour remain. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the flour to fully hydrate and cool down. Pour out onto a clingfilm lined baking tray, cover the exposed side in clingfilm and put in the freezer to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Roll the dough out either on a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of baking parchment to about 3-5mm thick, depending on how thick you want your biscuits.
5. Cut out as many shapes as you can with your choice of cookie cutters. Bring the scraps together into a ball and re-roll to cut out more shapes.
6. Place them spaced apart on a couple of baking sheets lined with baking parchment. (They will spread a little as they cook so make sure they have a bit of room).
7. Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes depending on whether you want them soft or crunchy and how big they are. Little ones will cook more quickly than larger cutouts. The cookies will still be very soft but will firm up as they cool. Cook until they are slightly darker on the edges.
8. Leave the cookies to cool on the trays for a couple of minutes then carefully transfer them to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
9. Optional, decorate them with icing in a festive pattern (like our kitchen staff have below).